Sunday, August 19, 2007

Every thing is a metaphor.....

So said one of the greatest foreign correspondents ever....Ryszard Kapuscinski. I had recently read his article in New Yorker and I was blown over. I never knew any one who can write like this...Aaah..what an essay. so sublime and moving...Click here to read the essay.

Turns out, Ryszard not only was a good writer but a daredevil. While covering the Biafran war in Nigeria, Ryszard heard of a road that was blocked by burning roadblocks and from which "no white man can come back alive." Not only did he test the rumor but he went and took photographs of the rebels. Below is an extract from his book ( The Shadow of the Sun ) on this incident.

"The boss of the operation stuffed my money into his pocket and shouted at me, blasted me with his beery breath: 'Power! UPGA must get power! We want power! UPGA is power!'. His face was flooding sweat, the veins on his forehead were bulging and his eyes were shot with blood and madness. He was happy and he began to laugh in joy. They all started laughing. That laughter saved me.

"They ordered me to drive on."

During the course of his travels , he went to India, Latin America and Africa. And he wrote countless(about 10-15) books about those adventures. He was born in Poland in 1932 and from late 1950s started his journalistic career.

Read more about Ryszard's life in wikipedia.

No comments: